Many of the links designed do not imply such information, especially those contextual links which are embedded in the content. A more usable design is to provide such hint to users, through the use of icons, text styles, pop-up tips, or even cursor styles. The design needs to consider providing these visual hints:
The target of links:
- within the same window but a different section (anchors), or
- in a pop-up panel/window, or
- open in a new window/tab
- linking to contents in the same site/application, or
- linking to contents in external sites, or
- reference content: provides relevant and brief content but does not change the current course of navigation.
- related content, which is part of the current course of navigation.
- triggering an action (actually a button, in some sense) such as hide/show, animation, etc.