September 20, 2009

An analyst's problem

I read this from my student's blog: "as a technical person, stop telling me what you want and tell me what your problem is."

I think it applies more to an (system) analyst. So "as an analyst, stop telling me what you want and tell me what your problem is."

The quote is a bit dramatic but it's got a point, even in my daily life. One day after I wrote that comment - a Sunday morning - my wife complained that she wanted one of those stackable racks back in the kitchen. We did not really use it, and it was crowded there; so I moved it. I showed her the quote, and, she smiled - she's analyst, too; so she understands. It turned out the problem was just she needed a place to put the rice cooker - there were better solutions.

2 comments:

Jim Ownby said...

This is a fairly significant issue I deal with almost daily. Clients and business owners get a slight grasp of understanding somewhere and believe that it applies across the board.

Sumantra Sarkar said...

Completely agree...