- Recent news or updates
- Feature contents preview
- Summary of sub-sections
- All sorts of gadgets and links
- Advertisement (they take a lot of spaces!)
- Other common contents like title, menu, footer, etc.
So, how much content is enough and balanced for a homepage? I think a general 7+-2 rule may offer some help:
- Divide the homepage into sections (chunks); include at most 7+-2 of these chunks. A section can be defined as visually and logically related contents. They may be of difference sizes.
- Include no more than 7+-2 items in each chunk/section and use "view more" links to link to the section home page.